Sunday, September 2, 2012

Mexican Rice

As much as I love to cook I have always been afraid to make any homemade Mexican food.  My Grandma made the most amazing Mexican food EVER.  So many memories of playing with all my cousins and watching her cook.  I will never forget the smell of her kitchen.  Nothing will ever compare to her food but this recipe was tastsy none the less.  It is so easy and I dont think I will ever buy the packaged kind again.  It also makes the house smell so amazing!!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups long grain white rice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small white onion
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 teaspoon Cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon Paprika or Cayenne Pepper
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can whole tomatoes
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 can green chilies

Directions:  In a large skillet heat oil and sautee onion and garlic until onions are starting to get soft.  Add rice and stir constantly for about 2-3 minutes.  Add all the spices, chilies, and tomatoes and stir until well blened.  Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and cover for about 20 minutes or until rice is soft. 

No comments:

Post a Comment