Thursday, August 2, 2012

Zucchini and Cheese Stuffed Shells WIth Meat Marinara

I was really nervous about trying these because it was a first for me.  All I have to say is first time is a charm!!  They were really good and best of all I have four more meals in the freezer for future weeks.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE freezer meals and whenever I make a meal that freezes well I always quadruple it.  I did not take any pictures of putting these bad boys together so I will direct you to The Pioneer Woman who gives step by step instructions.  PS her recipes are amazing.  *This recipe can make two full cake pans or 4 full pie pans.  If you are not making extra freezer meals 1/2 the recipe.* 

Ingredients:
  • 1 box Jumbo Shells
  • 1 Pound Ground Italian Sausage ( I usually get ground Italian chicken)
  • 1 Pound Ground Beef
  • 1 Medium Zucchini chopped
  • 2 cups Italian Blend Cheese
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
  • 2 bottles of your favorite Pasta Sauce
  • Olive Oil
Directions:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Boil shells for about 9 minutes or until al dente.  Drain and rinse.  Return shells to pot and add a little olive oil to prevent them from sticking together.  Add enough pasta sauce to cover the bottom of baking pan.  Fill shells with Zucchini and cheese stuffing and place on top of sauce.  Cover shells with meat marinara and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake covered for 20 minutes and uncovered for 5 minutes. 

Meat Marinara:  Brown ground Italian sausage and beef then add to the remaining pasta sauce.  Heat together until warm.

Zucchini and Cheese Stuffing:  Saute zucchini with olive oil and red pepper flakes over medium heat until tender.  Add zucchini and pepper flakes to a mixing bowl.   Mix in 2 cups of Italian style cheese and eggs until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment