This is the one and only photo I have of this amazing dish. I couldn't hold off for an extra minutes and had to dig right in. Now that means I will have to make it again soon, SCORE!!!! I have never seen my father in law eat so much food. If you follow my blog you know he literally lives like 50 yards away and eats with us a lot. This was extremely delicious, filling and inexpensive.
- 1 box Rigatoni
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, Pureed
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- dash of hot sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (I originally planned on just peas, but I am clumsy and grabbed the wrong bag. The carrots were delicious in it.)
- Boil Rigatoni according to package instructions, adding in peas and carrots for last minute.
- Drain pasta and return to pan with a little butter or olive oil.
- In a separate pan brown sausage with onions until cooked through.
- Add cooked sausage and onions into a blender or food processor with red pepper flakes and cayenne.
- pulse a couple times to break up the sausage and incorporate the seasonings.
- Return sausage to pan and add in tomato puree. (will look a little like dog food, see below)
- In a separate sauce pan melt butter and sprinkle with flour.
- Stir flour and butter to create a roux.
- Slowly stir in heavy cream.
- Stir in garlic and let thicken.
- Pour cream sauce into meat sauce and stir together.
- Pour the sausage cream sauce into the pot with the noodles and stir together.
- Let pasta sit with sauce for about five minutes before serving.