Friday, December 21, 2012

Sausage Alfredo Penne

This was a raid the cupboard throw together meal.  Every time I go shopping with my husband he always grabs a jar of the store bought Alfredo sauce.  He loves it, I hate it.  I had a jar of sauce and a pound of Italian sausage so I decided to put them to use.  The sauce is so bland so I added some ingredients for kick and let it simmer for several hours with the sausage to incorporate some flavor.  This is definitely not a skinny girl meal but sometimes you have to indulge.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound penne
  • 1 jar alfredo sauce (mine was roasted garlic)
  • 1 pound Italian sausage
  • 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup sherry
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne, optional
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions:  In a large skillet brown sausage with garlic.  Add sauce (use milk to shake any excess sauce from jar), sherry, cayenne, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, and salt and pepper.  Simmer for at least and hour.   Boil noodles according to package and add to sauce.  Top with cheese and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment