Monday, October 24, 2011

Crockpot Game Hens

Game Hens are so yummy!  I love making these at the beginning of fall and the end of winter.  Something to remind you of the Holidays before and after.  These are super easy and I love that with the leftovers I can make a delicious Chicken Noodle Soup.  This time however I am going to blame it all on pregnancy brain because when making the soup I added the noodles in for the whole 8 hours in the crock pot.  This is why I do not have a picture of the soup.

Ingredients:
  • 2 Game Hens
  • 1 large onion diced
  • 5-6 carrot sticks 1/2 cut into 3 inch strips 1/2 into circles or chunks
  • 5 cut celery sticks
  • two cups chicken broth
  • salt, pepper, and paprika to taste
Directions:  Rinse and pat dry the game hens.  In a medium bowl add celery and onion with salt and pepper.  ( I let mine marinate together over night if you want to prepare the night before)  Place the carrot sticks in the bottom of a greased crock pot then stuff the game hens with some of the celery and onions then place on top of the carrots.  Place the rest of the carrots, celery,and onions around the game hens and add chicken broth.  Dash salt and pepper over game hens before cooking.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours. 

Chicken Noodle Soup:  My husband I and I usually only eat 1 of the game hens so I peel the meat from the bones and place back in crock pot.  I add two more cups of chicken broth and store in the fridge overnight.  the next day I turn the crock pot on low or high depending on what time I start.  When broth is hot I add 1/2 package of egg noodles for the last 10-15 minutes then serve.  Great dinner to freeze and serve at any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment