Monday, September 17, 2012

Sweet and Sour Roasted Chicken

So first let me point out my rookie mistake!  I forgot to cover the chicken for the first hour so as you can see it got a little crisp.  Also the reason for lot posting a picture of the finished whole chicken.  However, the chicken was fantastic.  I also served it with my Easy Scalloped Potatoes.  So I bought a whole chicken the other day and I was debating how I wanted to prepare it.  Awhile back I made Orange Marmalade Pork Tenderloin and purchased two jars of Orange Marmalade.  It was staring me down in my pantry so I was debating how I could use it.  I remembered from awhile back these sweet and sour meatballs I made years ago.  I will make them soon and decided to adapt from that recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 1 5-6 pound whole chicken
  • 1 jar Orange Marmalade ( We will use the zest and the peeled orange)
  • 1 bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
  • 1 orange
  • 4-5 celery stalks
  • 1/2 stick butter, sliced
  • non stick spray

Directions:  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  In a medium saucepan heat Marmalade and Chili Sauce with the zest from the orange.  Heat until blended well.   Meanwhile remove the innards from chicken and rinse and pat dry.  In a large roasting pan spray with non stick spray and lay celery stalks.  Place chicken on celery and add a couple cutter pieces under the skin and rub the chicken with the rest.  Add peeled orange into the cavity and pour 1/4 of sauce over chicken and spread around.  Make sure to pour some under the skin as well.  Bake covered for one hour then remove and bake for another 1/2 hour uncovered.   Use remaining sauce to pour over chicken when serving. ( I had lots left over so I froze it for a later time)

No comments:

Post a Comment