Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Crockpot Chicken Chili

I rarely go shopping without a meal plan however, this week I did.  I randomly went shopping on a Sunday and was no way prepared for it. Shopping is always reserved for Monday mornings, no LINES!  Without a list I really just picked up some of my basic items.  I came home with chicken and really had no idea what to make with it.  I then realized I had bought a can of Cannellini beans for my lunch salads and decided to make a chicken chili.  This was so good and you don't have to cook anything before hand.  Definitely a keeper and I will double the batch next time for a freezer meal.  I also think corn and a can of green chilies would be AMAZING!

Ingredients:
  • 2 chicken breasts, uncooked
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup sour cream, you can always substitute for plain Greek yogurt!
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon chili powder, more to taste
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • Cholula, to taste
  • Avocado, sour cream and green onions for garnish

Directions:
  1. Place chicken in a lightly oiled crockpot.
  2. Cover chicken with all remaining ingredients, except the sour cream and garnish toppings.
  3. Cook chicken on low for 6 hours or high for 3 hours.
  4. Remove chicken and shred.
  5. Add shredded chicken back to crock with sour cream and stir.
  6. Cook on low for an additional 1/2 hour and serve!
To Freeze:
 Leftovers: Freeze cooled leftovers in a ziploc bag.  Thaw when ready to serve and heat in pan. 
Freezer Meal:  Add all ingredients except sour cream and garnish toppings in a large freezer ziploc bag.  When ready to make thaw and empty bag into crockpot and cook with directions above.

No comments:

Post a Comment