Monday, December 17, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

The last time I had pot pie was at KFC.  Everyone always talks about how good they are so I decided I would try and to my surprise they were tasty.  I have never had the urge to make one myself because I remember them taking so long to make.  I think it seems like a long time because it smells so good while baking and you just really want to eat it.  My husband has never been a fan of pot pies because he doesn't like crust but he thought the filling was delicious.
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 package refrigerated pie crust
  • 2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
  • 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small sweet onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced
  • 3/4 cup carrots, cut in half circles
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • pinch of paprika
  • salt and pepper, to taste
 
Directions:  In a large skillet melt butter and saute onions, garlic, carrots, and celery until soft.  Sprinkle vegetables with flour and stir until coated evenly.  Slowly add broth and milk while stirring constantly.  Add potatoes to mixture and let simmer for about 10 minutes to slightly cook potatoes.  Stir in cheese and chicken.  In a pie pan lay one piece of crust and fill with filling.  Lay remaining crust over the top and pinch sides together.  Brush crust with egg white and sprinkle with paprika.  Make 4 slits on the top and bake for 1 hour.  Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
 
 (Preparing the filling)
(Ready to bake)
(Ready to cool)
(Ready to serve)



No comments:

Post a Comment